Tennis

Bottom of the lineup carries Syracuse to 4-3 upset of No. 30 Wake Forest

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Anna Shkudun won just her second singles match of the year to seal the victory for Syracuse.

Anna Shkudun’s three-set singles win proved to be the decisive — and final — point as Syracuse upset No. 30 Wake Forest on Friday, 4-3, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

The Orange (8-12, 5-8 Atlantic Coast) was able to rebound from a two-match skid despite losing the doubles point. The Demon Deacons (16-9, 6-7) took the doubles point, winning 6-0 in the No. 2 and 3 matches, respectively. As a result, Miranda Ramirez and Gabriela Knutson’s No. 1 doubles match was abandoned with the pair leading, 4-3.

In singles, Shkudun, Libi Mesh, Masha Tritou and Dina Hegab all won for the Orange, giving SU just enough for the upset.

After No. 55 Kimmy Guerin defeated No. 77 Ramirez in No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-2, Tritou, playing No. 4 singles, won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. SU trailed 2-1. Then in No. 2 singles, No. 93 Emma Davis beat No. 87 Knutson, 6-4, 6-4. Hegab claimed a 6-3, 6-2, win in No. 6 singles, making the score 3-2 in favor of Wake Forest.

At this point, only Shkudun and Mesh were left, both forcing third sets after dropping their respective firsts. Mesh went on to win, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, tying the match at three. Shkudun picked up just her second singles win of the season, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2, giving the match to Syracuse, 4-3.

SU stays in the Tar Heel state where it will take on No. 3 North Carolina on Sunday.